Having your own server is beneficial as it provides Central Data Storage and Backup Storage. You can purchase your own server which will serve as your local server. However, the latest trend is cloud computing which offers more capabilities.Cloud servers are basically virtual servers or virtual machines running Windows or Linux Operating system. These are materialized via a web interface or API.Cloud servers can be used as same as physical servers are used but their functionality can be different. While choosing cloud hosting, clients rent the virtual space server instead of renting or purchasing physical servers.First we will talk about the advantages of having your own server, demonstrated below:
- Access on the data is fastest.
- You can run any application.
- In case of failure, you can access your local machine.
- There is no need for Internet connection to access the data.
- Local security is controlled by you, which means you can safely store the sensitive data.
Disadvantages of local server can be described as follow:
- Initial Setup is difficult.
- Maintenance costs can be high.
- You can access your data from a particular place.
Usually, there are two main choices for hosting that is ‘Shared hosting’ and ‘Dedicated hosting’. Shared Hosting is cheaper in which servers are shared between hosting provider’s clients. Clients will be hosting their websites on the same server. But one of the few problems that arise here is that the Setup is inflexible and it cannot handle a mass traffic. On the other hand, Dedicated Hosting is much more advanced in which clients purchase whole physical servers. This means the whole server is dedicated to a client and no one else sharing or accessing it. But the demerit is that required storage needs to be predicted to handle the expected traffic level with enough processing power. Underestimation can lead to difficulties to handle the traffic and Overestimation will result in paying for wasted storage.
Cloud hosting is the best option keeping the above case in mind. Following are the important Pros of cloud servers.
- We can increase and decrease the resources according to our requirement which makes it more flexible
- Whenever there is more demand on the servers, capacity can be automatically increased and vice-versa.
- Clients only pay for the capacity being used at a particular time.
- There is no need of much initial setup.
- If one server fails, others will take its place.
- Cloud Servers can be run on a hypervisor which controls the storage of Operating Systems.
- There are multiple cloud servers in a cloud hosting which are available to its specific client which allows the resource to be dedicated to a specific client whenever required.
- If any problem occurs in the server, its resource will be shifted to other available server so that clients are unaffected.
- You can access your data from anywhere.
Nevertheless, Cloud servers have cons too.
- It’s not easy to change cloud service providers.
- You cannot use any application that you need to use.
- Accessing the data depends on the internet connection of own.
- Cloud provider’s data center stores the data.So Small business should go for cloud for their use as they have flexible yet simple requirements and it’s cost effective too. However, large corporations having complex requirements or sensitive data storage, Local server is the best choice.